FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
IN HIS FORTHCOMING BOOK BLOOD ON THE PAGE, SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR THOMAS HARDING SHEDS NEW LIGHT ON ONE OF THE ‘GREATEST WHODUNNITS’ OF RECENT YEARS, THE MURDER OF ALLAN CHAPPELOW, AND ON THE SUPPOSED PERPETRATOR, A MAN WHO HAS NOW BEEN RETURNED TO PRISON AFTER A TEN-YEAR APPEAL DESPITE THE POSSIBILITY OF A MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE REMAINING.
BLOOD ON THE PAGE: A MURDER, A SECRET TRIAL, A SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH, written by award-winning and Sunday Times bestselling author of Hanns and Rudolf and The House by the Lake Thomas Harding tells the story of the brutal murder of Allan Chappelow – a recluse who was battered to death and buried under four feet of book manuscripts inside his crumbling Hampstead home in 2006. The man arrested of his killing was a Chinese dissident named Wang Yam. His murder trial, when it took place, was the first in modern British history to be held ‘in-camera’: closed to the public and press.
During the last ten years in prison Wang Yam has always maintained his innocence but today the Royal Court of Justice dismissed his appeal and Wang Yam remains in prison.
Thomas Harding has spent two years investigating the case and in BLOOD ON THE PAGE reveals shocking and revelatory new material on the killing, the victim and the supposed perpetrator. He has had access to key witnesses, the investigating officers, forensic experts, and the journalists who broke the story as well as a new witness who has provided an alternative suspect story. Most of all, he has spoken exclusively to Wang Yam for over 30 hours from prison. The result is an explosive new work of non-fiction from an author working at the height of his powers.
Harding’s thorough examination of what has been described as 'the greatest whodunnit’ of recent years means he is perfectly placed to comment on the outcome of the Court of Appeal hearing including Yam’s reaction to the trial and his next steps.
Here is an introduction to the case presented by Thomas Harding which ran on BBC2: Newsnight.
BLOOD ON THE PAGE: A MURDER, A SECRET TRIAL, A SEARCH THE TRUTH by Thomas Harding will be published in hardback and eBook by William Heinemann on 25th January 2018.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Thomas Harding is an author and journalist who has written for the Financial Times, the Sunday Times, the Washington Post and the Guardian, among other publications. He co- founded a television station in Oxford, England, and for many years was an award-winning documentary maker. He is the author of Hanns and Rudolf, a Sunday Times bestseller and
winner of the JQ-Wingate Prize; the internationally acclaimed Kadian Journal: A Father’s Story; and The House by the Lake, a Costa Biography Award and Orwell Prize nominee.
PRAISE FOR THOMAS HARDING’S PREVIOUS BOOKS
Hanns and Rudolf
- ‘A gripping thriller, an unspeakable crime, an essential history’ John Le Carré
- ‘Thomas Harding has shed intriguing new light on the strange poison of Nazism, and one of its most lethal practitioners ... Meticulously researched and deeply felt’ Ben Macintyre, Times 'Book of the Year'
- ‘Fascinating and moving ...This is a remarkable book, which deserves a wide readership’
Max Hastings, Sunday Times The House by the Lake
- ‘A remarkable book’ Tom Holland
- ‘Personal and panoramic, heart-wrenching yet uplifting, this is history at its
most alive’ A. D. Miller
- ‘This is far more than a family memoir: by tracing the lives of the different families who lived there, Harding sheds light on the German 20th century, a tale of war, spies, murder and political, social and racial division . . . His account of the house is a superb work of social history, told with tremendous narrative verve’ Sunday Times
For further information, including interview and feature requests please contact Kate McQuaid, Publicity Director at William Heinemann, on 020 7840 8293 or email@example.com.
Or visit www.bloodonthepage.com